We’ve known the truth about climate change that people are burning fossil fuels and warming the atmosphere with potentially catastrophic consequences, for decades now. Still we don’t feel like we want to sacrifice a lot of our comforts that contributes to climate changes. This is so much bigger than having your piece of meat etc. We choose those things that we in the moment enjoy or feel is necessary instead of life for future generations. How outrageous is that?!! Our decisions in life effects more than yourself, it effects everybody on this planet and especially in the future. Which makes it so important that we all try to do our best in turning this catastrophe around. We are all responsible for Earth.
WHAT IS HAPPENING?
- Animal agriculture is responsible for over 18% of the greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation. Agriculture is also responsible for about 80-90% of the US water consumption.
- We could see fishless oceans by 2048 and scientists estimate that as many as 650,000 whales, dolphins and seals are being killed every year by fishing vessels. And by 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish…
- 1-2 acres of rainforest are shopped down every second and the leading consecquenses of rainforest destruction are livestock and feedcrops. You can find palmoil in nearly every grocery store. The oil from the palms being planted on the cleared areas of rainforest.
- We have around 12 years! The earth is getting warmer. We can’t afford to raise the temperature with one degree higher celsius than it is right now, once we do that the damage is completely irreversible.
- Natural disasters all over the world. It’s not a coincidence that super storms appear or that cities flood. Everything we’re doing on earth is having a chain reaction.
And of course so incredibly much more. It’s horrific.
WHAT CAN WE DO?
Here’s some examples of things you can do as an induvidual. Small things makes a change if everyone participate.
- RECYCLE RECYCLE RECYCLE!!!!
- Buy alternatives to single-use plastic. It has gotten really popular with metal straws and reusable cups, which is amazing. Follow this trend!
- Stop eating meat or at least once or twice a week if you’re not fond with the idea of giving it up.
- Stop buying usless amounts of clothes, especially jeans that needs a huge amount of water to be produced. Look into secondhand and vintage! The prices are often cheaper and you can find some really cool pieces.
- Choose a better transportation. Take the bus once in a while, or even better the bike! Carbon is the enemy that we keep thinking of as a friend. Be climate smart.
- Support organizations working to protect our Earth! Listen to Lil Dickys new song “Earth”, learn more and sign a petition on welovetheearth.org all the money is going to The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation leonardodicaprio.org.
Other organizations and projects to support is for example:
- Oceana : Restoring and protecting our oceans on a global scale.
- The Climate Group : Accelarating climate action.
- Amazon Watch : Protecting the Amazon rainforest and our climate.
- Trees For The Future : Ending deforestation, hunger and poverty.
- Tentree : Brand that plant ten trees for every item purchased. The items are made of eco materials.
I’m encouraging all you bloggers, influencers, youtubers, people with any platform to do the same, take a stand and let’s save our earth. We are all in this together, we all have to take our responsibilite seriously. Because we earn our world that. Think, what a possibilitiy that we happen to be alive at the time of humanity where we can save the earth!! What a oppurtunity! Right!?! When we have the power to turn this around, when we can choose which way we want to go. Change must happen now.
We are here to protect the planet, not harm it. Change is coming, whether we choose to accept it or not. We are driven across an edge, that we don’t afford to cross. This is the only home we have.